The Ramblings of an Ornamental American

An update on Raymond's quest of life, liberty, and the pursuit of sandwiches.

Tuesday, April 10, 2001

�Which way to the unemployment office?� or �Morelli�s Law� I lost my job today�something about �aggressive cost-reduction initiatives.� That�s what I get for working at a web site. It�s not bad though. There are certainly worse things that could happen. The whole thing reminded me of this guy Mike Morelli from Fordham Law. I was down in the dumps about a girl and he asked me, �What�s the worst thing that could happen to you?� I said something about losing the girl forever, to which he replied, �No! The worst thing that could happen is that you could be dead tomorrow.� From that moment on Morelli�s Law has helped me keep things in perspective. Sure I have no job right now, but I�m alive, have 5 � senses, have a bunch of friends, have food to eat, etc. A lot of people have it worse than I do. The thing is I wasn�t really sad about it until I sent an email to my industry contacts letting them know I was out of work. I got a lot of supportive replies and phone calls. Companies with upcoming industry parties asked that I still attend. I was touched by the whole thing and got teary eyed in a Hallmark moment sort of way. The best part of it is I have more time to play tennis and work on my tan!