The Ramblings of an Ornamental American

An update on Raymond's quest of life, liberty, and the pursuit of sandwiches.

Friday, April 13, 2001

"Sweetest melody" or "Only the lonely" Day one of unemployment was pretty smooth. It didn't really sink in, plus my friend Tony cooked dinner for Rannie (his evil Korean girlfriend) and me--there was a lot of wine involved and that helped me avoid the realization that I was ditched. Day two was a bit worse and day three really sucked. Sometimes it's hard to follow Morelli's Law (see 4/10). I know it's not a reflection of my performance or my self worth, but losing a job does hit your confidence. It's nice to know that you're doing something valuable with your day, plus I was really proud of the job I did. For sure I wasn't the best editor in the world, but if you look at the site when I started and how much it has improved since then, it's pretty impressive. I know I was one of the reasons why. It was one of the few things in my life that I knew I was good at...and now it's gone. Thankfully a few friends of mine made those days bearable and a little fun. On day two I stayed up until 4AM AIM-ing with Raina. She really helped me cheer up and think about other things. Today I saw Josie and the Pussycats with my friend Tom, who I know from the games business. I'm so thankful for their company and friendship, because truth be told, I'm feeling a bit lonely. Speaking of Josie and the Pussycats, I totally fell in love with Melody, the ditzy drummer played by Tara Reid. Most people will find her charming because she's airy and funny, but--keep in mind I'm projecting here--I fell for her because she's very positive, bubbly, has a bright outlook on life, and seems like someone I can help. I really do have a thing for women that need help. It's not so much that I want to be a "knight in shining armor." I guess I just like feeling useful to and taking care of someone. If I met someone like Melody, who is na�ve and not so smart, I could protect her from people that would take advantage of her and she would help me to always look on the bright side. Plus, cute girls wearing cat ears are totally hot.