The Ramblings of an Ornamental American

An update on Raymond's quest of life, liberty, and the pursuit of sandwiches.

Tuesday, October 15, 2002

Oh Canada I didn't do an ounce of work over the weekend. I'm still not sure how wise a decision that was. On one hand, I got to relax a bit. The Kid and Jenny came over. It was cool to just veg with them. The Kid has a remarkable ability to keep everything extremely lighthearted, yet still interject some intelligent conversation. Part of it is that he's 19. Part of it is that he's pretty damn smart. Oh yeah, the other part of the equation is that I was at the office for 11 hours today and still had lots to do at home. That equation sure sucks. Steve, Jon, Jen, and I saw Bowling for Columbine. It's Michael Moore's latest documentary. Like his other stuff, it was really thought provoking (and yes, overwhelmingly liberal). I usually don't like thinking on that large a scale; it's much easier to deal with neurotic minutiae of everyday life. Anyway, the movie got me thinking about how crazy this country is -- particularly the violence and healthcare issues. People say, "America -- love it or leave it." There's certainly a lot I do love about America, but there's also so much wrong. Canada seems more aligned with my moral compass and I am extremely fond of Vancoucer. If I could find a job there, I think I'd move and apply for citizenship. Too bad Britney isn't Canadian. Otherwise I'd just marry her and be done with it. It's sounds like another one of my stupid ideas, but I feel pretty strongly about it. I believe in taking a stand, daring to be different, and perhaps daring to be great. There's so much ambivalence that doing something as simple as buying an electric car instead of a gas burner can really be a powerful statement. (Especially since that imbecile George W is backing GM and Chrysler's suit against California's clear-air committee...but I digress.) Moving to Canada would be an even bolder statement. By the way, car dealers suck. Next to NYC realtors, they're probably my least favorite people. Steve, Jon, and I went to the Toyota dealer to check out the electric RAV 4. The guy was a total ass. If I do end up getting that car, I'd try to find a better dealer in L.A. or San Diego because this guy was such a moron. My eGO hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully tomorrow so I can start terrorizing the streets of Irvine at 20 miles per hour -- and without burning fossil fuels. Maybe I better check out that Canadian citizenship test. I hope it's not too hard.