The Ramblings of an Ornamental American

An update on Raymond's quest of life, liberty, and the pursuit of sandwiches.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Hello Sinner The title is how I answered the phone after a rather funny call on Wednesday morning. Tee-hee. So I just got back from seeing Sin City at the Arclight. The movie was most enjoyable, but a little strange for me. I read several times that Rodriguez wanted the movie to be exactly like the books, panel to panel. I didn't really believe it until I saw it. It took me a bit to get used to the literal style, because it truly was like watching a comic book. It was so close to the source that it was disconcerting at first -- almost like someone was turning the pages for me. The really weird thing was hearing many of the lines I've read so many times. They've sounded a certain way in my head for years. Hearing someone else say them differently was definitely odd. Still, I love the stories. I love what RR did visually. Most of the performances were great. I only found one to be really bad (poor Brittany). And Jessica as Nancy ... wow! I didn't think she was right for the character, but I totally fell in love with the way she made Nancy strong, vulnerable, sexy, and innocent at the same time ... which is particularly challenging when you're playing an exotic dancer. Jessica's Nancy was so charming!