The Ramblings of an Ornamental American

An update on Raymond's quest of life, liberty, and the pursuit of sandwiches.

Wednesday, August 01, 2001

�La decisione� or �Thanks Wild Bill� I�m having an informal interview in nine hours. This one pretty much came out of nowhere. On Monday, Bill told me this guy was looking for someone to do short game descriptions. I figured I�d check it out as a courtesy, but I wasn�t too interested in it. So I emailed the dude on Tuesday and we spoke on the phone a bit later. Turns out I was chatting with the CEO of Gigex and the job is actually pretty damn cool--mostly editorial, a little biz dev, and a possible syndicated column. The last part really appeals to me. Having my stuff run on web sites is cool. Seeing bylines in magazines is even cooler. Getting my work syndicated to multiple newspapers would kick ass. The gambling bug is really getting to me. Originally I planned to go on 8/17 with Steve and Mae, but I have two press junkets that week and would need time to write and recover. So I rescheduled for 8/25, but that�s when Jen�s next show is. So I�m debating on whether I should go to Vegas with my buds or catch Jen�s show (and hopefully talk to her this time). I figure Steve is coming to visit next week anyway, and I�ll catch Mae next month for my birthday. Plus I really prefer going to Vegas during weekdays--less idiots, more real gamblers. Plus (again) I have all these cheap weekday room offers from numerous hotels. Then again, I hate planning anything around some girl I don�t know...and I really need to gamble. There�s a bunch of cool press junkets coming up. Next week I get to go to Dana Point and stay at the Saint Regis. The hotel looks so rad. Plus the company throwing the event says they will rent Sea-Doos for us. The week after that I�m in Los Angeles for an event with my favorite flaks in the world. Then it�s off to San Diego for some more fun. Press junkets rock, especially for freelancers. They�re fun, relaxing trips that should lead to lots and lots of preview pieces. The only other thing I do that�s both lots of fun and quite profitable is card counting, but that doesn�t work out all the time.