The Ramblings of an Ornamental American

An update on Raymond's quest of life, liberty, and the pursuit of sandwiches.

Saturday, November 03, 2001

�Twice in a lifetime� or �I�m a loser baby� Wow. Those last two Yankee games have been phenomenal. I love my team. I know I�ll never see two games like that ever again. I feel so bad for that young Korean pitcher who blew both games. He�s only 22 and thrust in the spotlight on the world�s biggest baseball stage, only to fail utterly. I�d think he�s the biggest loser in the world, except I�ve got him beat. Yes, I did go back to Starbucks to see Alani. As expected, I totally fucked up. 11:05PM -- Went in, said hi, exchanged pleasantries, ordered two drinks, went back to the table to bring Rannie her drink. 11:10PM -- After thinking of several things I could possibly say, the store closes. I decide it�s not meant to be. 11: 15PM -- After walking two blocks I decide that I must do something then and there. So we walk back across the street from Starbucks. 11:25PM -- Still can�t think of anything to say so I decide to write a note on the back of my business card and give it to her. 11:26PM -- Decided that writing something on my business card is incredibly lame. So I plan to knock on the window and say, �Hey, I forgot something. I meant to ask you out.� 11:35PM -- The courage and confidence are still not there. 11:36PM -- Motivated by the Yankees� last two games I march across the street ready for my moment, constantly saying to myself, �Remember Tino Martinez! Remember Scott Brosius!� 11:37PM -- Like a deer in headlights, I�m stuck at the store next door to Starbucks and can�t take another step. 11:45PM -- Still next door, I watch as the lights at Starbucks go off. I wait a few minutes and go back across the street to Rannie�s car. 11:50PM -- Alani and her coworkers close up and drive off. Rannie and I leave. I�m now the biggest loser in the entire universe. This is pathetic. I�m almost thirty and I can�t ask a girl out. I will be single for the rest of my life. Words can�t describe how much I absolutely suck. I loathe myself. Now excuse me while I repeatedly bash myself on the head with my Louisville Slugger.