The Ramblings of an Ornamental American

An update on Raymond's quest of life, liberty, and the pursuit of sandwiches.

Monday, July 12, 2004

Random Flashback It's Fall 1997. Our band--Lo Fat Mooken--is about to go on stage to play at Asian Occasion. I'm feeling really uncomfortable with one of our songs: an interesting interpretation of Shonen Knife's Tortoise Brand Pot Cleaner. I pull the drummer aside and tell him, "Dom, I don't know about this song. It's not that good." He quickly replies, "You're right. It sucks." We go and find Roland, the third member of Lo Fat Mooken, and Dom says, "Roland, we're not doing the third song. It sucks." Roland says, "Okay. We still need to play another song though. What do we all know?" After coming up blank for five minutes I offer a solution. "I Used to Love Her is three chords. We can totally do it." And so it came to pass that Lo Fat Mooken closed out their set with a three-chord song by Guns and Roses.