The Ramblings of an Ornamental American

An update on Raymond's quest of life, liberty, and the pursuit of sandwiches.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Split Decision Last week was quite tumultuous. A lot of good things happened, but a lot of bad things happened as well. Being the lugubrious being I am, I obsessed with the latter. Since it was so split, it's time for an Augustine Chan binary list! 1 - I wrote the biggest story I'll ever write for work. 0 - It got edited to high heaven and I'm really unhappy with the results. 1 - The story got a lot of nice attention from my peers. 0 - Some of my peers wanted to kill me. 0 - Microsoft had its satellite laser system ready to obliterate me because of said story. Good thing it crashed. 1 - I got to see the ultimate woman. 1 - I got to see my dream girl too. 1 - Mizuguchi-san and Yamaoka-san remembered hanging out with me in Japan last year and greeted me with hugs. I totally marked out. 1 - I got really drunk on Tuesday and managed not to break anything, though I did take a teeny tiny jab at my 19th favorite game designer. (To be fair, he hit me first.) 1 - Bryn was also really drunk and it was marvelous catching up with him and getting to hang out. 0 - Between my big story and punching the game designer in the face (he was being an Unreal bitch about it and was telling everyone the next day), I was getting way more attention than I cared for. 0 - I realized how ridiculous I am for wanting lots of attention when I don't have it and shunning it when I do get it. 0 - I got really drunk on Wednesday and totally blacked out. 1 - Thankfully Kat took on the Herculean task of taking care of me. It was an incredible thing of her to do. Who knows where I would have ended up without her. 0 - Unfortunately she didn't know that I moved and took me to my old apartment. 0 - Apparently I passed out in the hallway by the kitchen. I was so bad that Carlos had to check to make sure I was breathing. 0 - Somehow I ended up on Phu's floor. 1 - The next day I did a good interview with the Nokia dude and an okay one with the Nintendo dude (I was prepared for the Nintendo chick and had to wing it). 0 - The interviews with another huge company didn't go to the company's liking. They didn't enjoy or appreciate the goofy and informal (but really fun!) style we use. 0 - The interviews cause a lot of drama and giant headache for one of my favorite PR people. 0 - I felt enormously guilty for possibly insulting a really important gentleman and making him feel uncomfortable. 1 - The bulk of my personal guilt went away when I heard some of the things the subject said and his attitude towards the whole thing. 0 - None of my professional guilt went away because I'm paranoid that I won't be able to interview anyone from the company ever again. Yes, it's probably not justified. 1 - Thursday night I didn't drink that much and was well behaved. 0 - Being sober left me outstandingly bored. 1 - I got to have a good chat about the interview incident. 0 - Someone I care for very much said some pretty-not-nice things to me. I'll chalk it up to alcohol, but it still kind of hurts. 1 - Had a pretty interesting, though difficult to follow, meeting on Friday. It could lead to a significant change for me. 0 - I wasn't too drunk on Friday night and was a little bored. 1 - Thankfully I had a good friend to hang out with. 0 - I saw an incredibly awesome girl dealing with heartbreak and it killed me. 0 - I realized how numb my own heart is in regards to most things. 1 - I went dancing with really cool audio designers from Japan, including Yamaoka-san. 1 - I gathered up some of the troops for Ben's birthday. 0 - I was in my sober / bored mood during dinner. 1 - Ben, Eeeeevers, and I went back to my place for a lovely shiraz. 1 - I made the wise decision not to go the large industry gathering. I would have been stupid drunk or sober bored. 1 - Sunday was domestically productive. After my morning Farley's, I went to the grocery, did laundry, unpacked several boxes, vacuumed, cleaned some cupboards, did dishes, and set up my new color laser printer. 0 - I got into a fight with my printer during toner installation. 0 - The K cartridge kicked my ass, the Y got in some good hits, and the M grazed me a bit. Thankfully the C didn't touch me at all. 0 - The picture above is what's left of my shirt. What kind of moron wears a white t-shirt while messing with four toner cartridges?